- Toggle Section About
- Toggle Section Undergraduate
- Toggle Section Graduate
Bible and Theology Certificate – Undergraduate
The 30-credit Bible and Theology Certificate program is intended to make the curriculum of Biola’s 30 credits of core undergraduate Bible courses — a.k.a. Biola’s Bible Minor — available to students who have not (yet) matriculated into any of Biola’s bachelor degree programs. The mission for Biola’s Biblical and Theological Studies Minor is to teach Christian undergraduate students to view all of God’s world through the perspective of God’s Word, the Bible. This biblical worldview involves understanding and applying the Bible as the foundation of the Christian faith, values, and virtues — both historically and presently. The goal is that students will lead lives of integrity and will engage the world of ideas, their vocations, their local church communities, and their society as responsible citizens, being faithful stewards of God’s gifts to them and, empowered by His Spirit, carrying out Christ’s commission to make disciples of all nations.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the 30-credit Bible and Theology Certificate, students will be able to:
- Bible: Identify the basic contents of all books of the Old and New Testaments, and apply the biblical teaching for Christian faith and practice through reliable and faithful methods of interpretation (ULO 1).
- Theology: Explain the major doctrines of Christianity from an evangelical perspective, including their biblical basis and contemporary relevance (ULO 1).
- Integration: Examine their academic disciplines through critical evaluation of the knowledge, skills, and values of the discipline according to Christian faith and practice (i.e., a biblical worldview) (ULO 2 and 3).
- Spiritual Formation: Describe a personal relationship with God in a maturing Christian faith and practice, and demonstrate the ability to serve the church and the world for Jesus Christ’s purposes of redemption. (ULO 2 and 3).
|BBST 103||Biblical Interpretation and Spiritual Formation||3|
|BBST 105||Foundations of Christian Thought||3|
|BBST 109||Old Testament History and Literature||3|
|BBST 110||New Testament History and Literature||3|
|BBST 251||Theology I||3|
|BBST 254||Theology II||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Early Christian History - Acts|
|Gospel of John|
|BBST 300/400 elective||3|
|BBST 300/400 elective||3|
|BBST 465||Integration Seminar 1||3|
May be taken with different content as a BBST elective for a maximum of 6 credits counted toward the certificate.
Minimum Institutional Requirement
Of the 30 credits of Bible required for the 30-credit Bible and Theology Certificate, 15 credits must be taken from Biola. Students may petition the Office of the Registrar for an exception to this rule. Transfer credit, credit for prior learning or credit by examination may not be used to fulfill the minimum institutional requirement.